Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Commuting-Real, Practical Advice

Hello, all! Lately I have been seeing a lot of blog posts about commuting and I've read several. All of them offer tips on how to make it work, etc. But, there are things those posts are leaving out. So, the goal of this post is to offer real, practical advice for students of any age that might be commuting.

1) Pack for the classes you have. This is probably the most obvious, but it needs to be said. I see unprepared students on campus all the time, and they live on campus! Be sure your bag(s) is packed the night before or first thing in the morning. That means you have any and all books you need, notebooks, folders, planners, etc. Make sure your pens and pencils are in working order, too. Also, be sure you're not carrying around extra weight by cleaning out your bag often. Why take a text book you won't be using in class that day?

2) Pack necessary items.  What does that mean? For me that means packing hand sanitizer, lotion, band-aids, tissues (so important during cold season!), medicines like ibuprofen/Tylenol, touch-up makeup, travel-size deodorant, wet wipes, brush/comb, travel-size hairspray, bobby pins, extra hair ties, and safety pins. I like to be prepared for any situation. I keep a special little bag filled with all of these items in my bag daily. Since I don't have the option of going home to get something (my commute is an hour one-way), I make sure to have everything I need on hand. If you have specific health conditions, like asthma, don't forget those meds/items needed. Sunglasses are also important, especially if you have a long walk across campus. An umbrella is another item you might need at any given time. Not rainy in the morning? It could be by the afternoon.

3) Pack food. It is significantly cheaper than purchasing a meal plan of any kind. Whether you just need some snacks or you need a whole meal, plan ahead and pack what you need. Find lounges, etc. on campus where there are microwaves available and you won't have to limit yourself to what food you can take. And it will help a lot in the winter when a nice warm cup of soup is better than a cold bologna sandwich. The food you pack doesn't have to be crappy: just use a little forethought and take items you will actually eat. It helps to have food that provides sustainable energy to get you through the day. And don't forget a drink. Take a water bottle that you can continually fill during the day.

4) Prepare your vehicle. Seriously. Things you should keep in your vehicle at all times: jumper cables, tire pressure gauge, spare tire and jack, a blanket, bottle of water, miscellaneous fluids (oil, brake fluid, etc.) that you know your vehicle tends to use, napkins, pens/pencils, flashlight. In winter, consider adding granola bars, tow straps, candles and matches, an extra change of clothes or shoes. Think about what items may come in handy in the event that you're stranded for a period of time. Burning candles, obviously in a safe area in your vehicle, can prevent the temperature from dropping too low in the winter, and be sure to take your phone charger. And, for Pete's sake, don't always leave your flashers on if you have to abandon your vehicle! Your battery will be dead upon your return. Remember those jumper cables I mentioned? They only work if you get someone to stop and help you and that can be dangerous. If you don't know how to use jumper cables, please take some time to educate yourself and learn! It's not hard and it's not scary, I promise. Also, know how to check your fluids and use a lug wrench to change your tire, if need be. I promise that these are very important life skills you will need at some point. There isn't always someone who can come to the rescue 24-hours a day or immediately. You'll probably have to wait some amount of time for help to arrive. Planning now can save a lot of frustration and prevent potentially dangerous situations later.

5) Know your time limits. I've been commuting for nearly 2 years and I have my drive down to a timed science. I know exactly how long it takes to get from town-to-town or whatever landmarks to be sure I am on time every day. My commute is longer than most students, so I leave even earlier. I take into account the time I'm leaving. If school is starting at 8 and I'm on the road at that time, I plan the possibility of being behind a school bus or encountering school traffic. Little things like that are hugely important. I take the highway for a certain distance and then get on the interstate, so I make sure to always allow for crazy traffic. I watch the local news before I leave to see if there are any major accidents that might be blocking traffic so I can take a different route. I like to be 10 minutes early to my first class, so I plan my drive to be sure that I am never late, unless something really crazy happens. I haven't been late to a class in over a year! Obviously, depending on where you live, the weather might play a big role in your commute. If it's too dangerous, it might be necessary to miss class. That doesn't happen to me often, but I know my driving limitations and what my vehicle can handle. It's never a good idea to risk your life in the roads are that bad.

6) Leave early enough to be on time. This was already stated, but it needs to be said. I have a child to get on a school bus before I leave and I'm still able to make it on time. I also allow time to watch the news, eat breakfast, and grab some coffee. Why? I get up at an appropriate time. Listen, we're all adults here and it's okay to have a bed time for yourself on school nights. I'm in bed between 10:30 and 11 every school night, with my husband. We get up at 6:30, or earlier if I have an early class, and everyone is on time. It's all about planning and prioritizing. I used to think that I got up early enough as it was and I wasn't going to leave extra time in my commute, but I quickly learned from that mistake. Don't be a butt head about it, just get up early enough and plan your time.

7) Don't fall asleep.  As I mentioned, I commute roughly an hour plus one way every day t
o school. I know that trip is long and it's often in the wee hours of the morning. Drink coffee, take Vitamin B, whatever you have to do to ensure you won't be drowsy. Listen to music or something to help keep you alert and awake. Don't make the commute any more dangerous than necessary. Think of possible alternate routes if you have a particularly boring drive. A change of scenery can help big time.

8) Know the parking situation.  My university recently built a much-needed parking garage-hallelujah!- but before we had that, parking was awful! I knew I would have to park, literally, a mile away and would have to factor that in to my commute time. Know how long it will take you to get from your parking place to your first class. You must include that time into your commute time. I leave a 10-minute window to get to the right building and be outside of the classroom door, still 10 minutes early. If you have something you need to do before class, figure that in. We have a Starbucks on campus and sometimes, if I'm a little sleepy from my drive, I'll stop in and grab a coffee. I plan that ahead of time so I'm not late.

I hope these suggestions/tips can help someone. Please let me know if there's anything I should add. Thanks a million!
Until next time,
Queen E

No comments:

Post a Comment